“I’m trying not to explode”

vince beltrami

“I’m trying not to explode,” said Vince Beltrami, the president of the Alaska AFL-CIO, the state’s largest labor group, after he reviewed the legislation in the Capitol. “I just can’t believe on the day after what would be the last day of the session — to go after public employees who have already sacrificed.”

See Full Story at adn.com

Comments

comments

1. 37.5 hours per week… that’s a sacrifice

2. Paying public employees $2500 in matching health insurance premiums would save the state 450 million dollars with no reduction in service.

3. You people just don’t get it.

When there are good paying union jobs available, every other employer has to raise wages to get good people. If you work for wages, you would get even less without union jobs keeping wages up.

If you are a vendor, and you get wages reduced, who is going to buy from you?

4. Oh well Vince…life goes on…without the unions~

5. Katherine Francis April 19, 2016, 1:25 pm

I wanted to join the unions, esp at public 71. They will not hire me because I am not a foreigner…I am from Alaska Yupik Eskimo. I have 13 years of janitorial experience. Had I been from another country they would hire me.
    So much for local discrimination~
    Oh well…

6. The bottom line is we cannot afford to pay state employees anymore. In my business when there is more bottom than line someone does not get paid. Period. Why should we allow the state to spend money they can’t afford. Lay offs will hurt our state but not as much or for as long as a bloated State government. This has gone on to long and we must stop it now.

• So, you can afford to give billions away in welfare payments to the oil industry, you can afford to give them $700 million MORE in tax credits than they pay in taxes, but what you can’t afford is to pay the employees who provide state services. That’s a fascinating perspective.

7. Right to Work legislation is coming, Vince. Ten years overdue.

8. Many State of Alaska employees are already being paid below private sector wages for the same job, and many are trying to cover for coworkers who no longer have jobs. Wages have been practically stagnant for years.

There will need to be cuts, but stop blaming state workers for things they didn’t do. Blame Republicans for new legislative offices in Anchorage.

9. Many State of Alaska employees are already being paid below private sector wages for the same job, and many are trying to cover for coworkers who no longer have jobs. Wages have been practically stagnant for years.

Cooper, no one is stopping you from contributing and lobbying.

• I don’t think you can find one category of state employee that is below the private sector not one!

• In fact, you are dead wrong about that. The last time I saw a study of that particular issue, it found that, while those people at the bottom of the pay scale were paid more than private sector employees, as you climbed the ranks, it was more likely that you would be paid FAR less than private sector employees. So the State can’t keep good people in leadership and management positions because they can make far more in the private sector. The custodians are making more than their private sector counterparts. But from middle management up, they can’t compete.

10. It’s ridiculous and an insult.

11. Cooper has it exactly right.

12. Please. Where is all the money to pay for everybody. Get over it

13. We in the private sector have taken a 10% pay cut and laid off almost 30% of the employees at my company. These union employees are a big part of the budget and are the protected class – why is the government sector more important that the private???? Because they contribute to re-election campaigns, that’s why